Monday, May 7, 2007

snake for sale?


This morning while waiting for my turn to pay our electricity bill, I noticed a lady edging her way towards the cashier. She was obviously trying to sell something. When she turned after the guy at the counter said he was not buying, she was now facing me directly and it came as a shock to see her carrying a big two-gallon bottle with a huge snake inside. Was she selling snakes? My curiousity got the better of me so I asked her if she was selling snakes. She wasn't. In that large bottle was a big snake coiled and submerged in what seemed like water. The lady asked me if I wanted to buy. Buy what? Then she told me that she was selling medicinal massage oil in which the snake was soaked. She showed me the different containers and prices if I was interested to buy. Snake oil, according to her, is very medicinal. It can alleviate body pains when it is used as massage oil.

No comments: